Pros and Cons of Selling on Vinted

I think we all have a few items of clothing that fall to the back of our closet. Upon completing this year's spring cleanout, it was time to get rid of these stragglers. First, I removed anything that could be fixed with a trip to a seamstress. Vintage pieces are almost always harder to get rid of, especially those that have a sentimental value and are only slightly too tight. However, the lingering Forever 21 high school era items had to go. Graduating means moving into my new apartment, and I cannot in good conscious take those relics with me. Although I have sold on Depop before, Vinted seems, especially when considering my review, to be a more efficient app. So here are my findings:

Pros:

1. The listing process is insanely easy

It took me all of 20 minutes to take photos of my clothing and fill out their information. The process was utterly painless, and the app gave a great deal of tips on how to best market my items.

2. They give you references on the price points of similar items recently sold

THIS IS MY FAVORITE ASPECT! The database shows sold items, similar to yours, and their listed prices, so you can determine how much to mark your clothing based on competition.

3. Your items sell quickly

I sold my first two items, a cardigan and cropped sweater, in two days. People can make offers for lower prices and if you set your initial price higher than you're willing to accept -- you can cut a deal.

4. People are more likely to buy gently used-clothing

My sad miniskirts would never have made it on the highly curated Depop or the endless listings of Ebay. This app is made for and by people genuinely looking for affordable pieces. 

Cons:

1. You don't make that much money

I've sold about three items and have made around $20. Is this a lot of money? No. But it is more than I would have made if I just donated my clothing? Yes. If the effort is worth it is up to you.

2. Shipping fees make customers want you to lower your prices

The customer pays for shipping, as is traditional, and none of that fee will go to you. Thus, they will often send extremely low offers that you are best off ignoring. A woman tried to negotiate $3 for a brand-new pair of heels. 

Conclusion

While I am not a reseller and most likely won't use Vinted often, the app was a good way of making some extra money off old clothes. The only real loss is that you have to hold onto the items you're selling rather than just dropping them off at a donation bin. Considering it is never concrete how long something will take to sell, this can be rather frustrating. But if you have the space and energy for it, I completely recommend selling on Vinted.




Comments